St. Thomas Aquinas Human Concerns Committee Meeting Minutes, September 23, 2008
Paul Chestnut, Mary Fong, Laura Chiu, Terry McCaffrey
1. Faith-Sharing/Question of the Week - Mary
Mary led a discussion about the current economic crisis. It appears that it is due to greed and violation of ethics.
2. The July minutes were approved.
3. Time & Talent in October
Dates are STA: October 12; SAG: October 19, OLR: October 26.
We need volunteers. Laura passed around the schedule. Paul and Mary volunteered. We need several more slots filled for the four days.
4. Burning Bush event for social justice activities
Terry discussed three different videos that could be used to stimulate discussion at a Burning Bush event. We offered opinions on which would be most appropriate. Terry will talk to Father George.
5. Death penalty - Terry The Weekend of Faith in Action on the Death Penalty will be held November 7-9. It is sponsored by California People of Faith Working Against the Death Penalty (CPF). From the web site (http://www.californiapeopleoffaith.org/):
"Please join CPF for the “Weekend of Faith in Action Against the Death Penalty.” This is a time when we encourage our members to TAKE ACTION in their faith community against the death penalty. This may include showing a film, hosting a speaker, including information about the death penalty in a bulletin or newsletter, etc. Please contact CPF if you’d like more information about the resources we can provide." Terry distributed a flyer advertising the event. Some events: There will be a homily on the death penalty presented at the 8:45 Mass on November 16 at St. Thomas Aquinas. There will be an interfaith prayer service at Lytton Plaza on November 9 at 3 pm. We need to consider more activities.
6. MVPJ lecture series on issues sponsored by Multifaith Voices for Peace & Justice exploring critical election issues - Chris Two events have been identified by Laura:
1) Forum on Immigration: Thursday, October 2, 7 pm, First Congregational Church, 1987 Louis Rd., Palo Alto
2) Poverty & the Food Crisis with Raj Patel: Monday, October 20 2008, 7-9 pm, First United Methodist Church, 625 Hamilton Ave., Palo Alto, CA 94301.
7. JustFaith programs - Patricia
14 people have signed up. The meetings are held on the first and third Tuesday.
8. Voter registration plan - Laura
Laura will have a registration table at the Time & Talent events on October 12 and 19.
9. Directions of Diocese re political activities
Here is a summary of the directions and guidelines regarding political activities in parishes during the fall election:
1. Use only material provided by the Diocese.
2. Do not accept any monetary contributions made by the donor for the purpose of supporting or opposing any ballot initiative measure, such as Proposition 4, 6, or 8.
3. Do not conduct or host any voter forums or panel discussions regarding ballot initiative measures or candidates for political office -- other than neutral forums based upon the United States Bishops' statement, "Faithful Citizenship."
4. Materials pertaining to issues of public concern relating to the upcoming November election have been designated by Diocesan legal counsel as "catechetical materials" or "issue advocacy materials."
5. "Catechetical materials" may be copied and distributed at the pleasure of the pastor and need not be reported.
6. Organizations such as Knights of Columbus and "Catholics for Protect Marriage" may request of pastors to be allowed to solicit volunteers.
10. What's On Your Mind?
Laura: A talk relative to critical election issues will be held at the Thomas Merton Mass.
11. Volunteer for Faith-sharing/Question of the Week
Next meeting - October 28